We’ve all watched Tony Stark talking to an AI-entity known as Jarvis, through which he could control items and equipment throughout his house. And to be frank, most of us have wished for a home like that. Well, it doesn’t need to be a dream anymore. You can now link your devices and utilities via the Internet of Things (IoT) and control them through an app on your phone.
Home automation is the process of creating a central control point for all your appliances and utilities so that you can live a more convenient and secure life.
What is Automation?
Automation is more than just getting appliances to respond to your voice commands. It extends beyond that, to functions such as:
- Time-sensitive commands – For example, programming the lights to switch on/off or dim at a particular time.
- Scheduled events – Linking the lights in the home to turn on when the security alarm goes off.
- Motorized doors and curtains – Programming your curtains and doors to open and shut at a fixed time.
These are just a few small examples of automation. Similarly, many more activities can be scheduled or automated to ensure that you live a life of comfort and ease.
How Does it Work?
Now that you understand what automation is, let’s look at how it works. To get your home automated, you’ll need hardware, electronics, and communication equipment. Each of the devices and pieces of equipment is linked to your tablet or smartphone app through the IoT.
To make this entire system function smoothly, it requires three main components:
- Sensors – These are required for various functions to detect motion, light, or temperature.
- Controllers – These are devices through which functions are controlled. For example, a tablet, computer, or smartphone might serve as your controller.
- Actuators – These represent a crucial part of the entire automation structure. These devices are activated remotely to carry out the required function.
Unique Features of Home Automation
Today, due to the availability of smart devices, IoT, and WiFi, a lot of things that the world has never considered are now available for automation. Some of these features are:
- Motorized doors and curtains
- Temperature control
- Home appliances and electronic devices
- Video surveillance and security alarms
- Fireplace control
- Voice-activated control
- Keyless entry
How Does it Benefit You?
The sole purpose of automating your home is to give you higher comfort and adding ease to your life.
- Remote Access – It always allows you to be in control by providing you access to your homeplace from anywhere.
- Comfort and Convenience – Add a new level of luxury to your daily life. Program your thermostat, set-up speakers to play music at the scheduled time, and much more. Now you don’t have to remember to turn off lights or appliances when you leave the house. You can leave almost everything to your automated system.
- Safety and Efficiency – Protect your home from any perceived threats with automated fire detectors, smoke alarms, and other security features. Automating your home also allows you to save more on your power consumption and energy bills.
What are you waiting for? Get going and take advantage of this technology to add comfort and ease to your everyday life.